Hiel


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

El jefe Gall, un jefe de Hunkpapa, jugó un papel destacado en la larga guerra de los Lakotas contra Estados Unidos. Como líder de Hunkpapa Teton Sioux (Lakota), fue uno de los comandantes de las fuerzas de caballería indias en la Batalla de Little Big Horn. El jefe Gall fue uno de los líderes más agresivos de la nación sioux durante su última lucha por la libertad.

Nacimiento

Gall hizo su aparición en el mundo del Creador alrededor de 1840 en las llanuras de Dakota del Sur. Nació como ciudadano entre muchos ciudadanos de Hunkpapa. Su primer nombre era Matohinshda, o Bear-Shedding-His-Hair.

Infancia

El niño adquirió su inusual nombre, Gall, (Pizia) cuando, como huérfano hambriento, se comió la vesícula biliar de un animal asesinado por un conciudadano. Su tutor, Tatanka Yotanka, más conocido como Jefe Toro Sentado, crió a Gall como si fuera suyo.

.Carrera temprana

Gall adquirió una reputación como un guerrero y cazador consumado durante su adolescencia y se convirtió en un jefe a los veinte años. Luchó en la Batalla de Big Mound con Inkpaduta, y como guerrero en las campañas de Red Cloud de 1866 a 1868, alcanzó un alto estatus entre los Lakota.

Carrera posterior

Gall se negó a aceptar el Tratado de Fort Laramie de 1868 que puso fin a las hostilidades precedentes. Cuando se ignoró el tratado de 1868, acordó con Toro Sentado defender lo último de su otrora vasto dominio. Defendió constantemente el derecho de su pueblo a sus terrenos de caza de búfalos y creía que el gobierno debía respetar la letra de sus acuerdos con ellos. Negándose a darse por vencido, Gall se unió a Toro Sentado y otros que se negaron a permanecer como "prisioneros" dentro del territorio reservado para ellos por los blancos. Gall finalmente se convirtió en el jefe militar de Toro Sentado y dirigió ataques contra las tropas del ejército a lo largo del río Yellowstone en 1872 y 1873.

Gall disfrutó de la total confianza de Toro Sentado mientras este último planeaba y dirigía ataques contra los soldados estadounidenses. Era un estratega militar nato, capaz de tomar nota y comprender la explotación de su enemigo. Para el Jefe Gall, el camino hacia la Batalla del Big Horn comenzó con el Mayor Marcus Reno y su ataque no provocado a la aldea de Gall a lo largo del río Little Big Horn. Durante el ataque de Reno, sus soldados mataron a varios miembros de la familia de Gall. Gall, usando una habilidad superior combinada con una ferocidad inspiradora, dirigió a su banda en un contraataque, que los llevó a la gran derrota de George A. Custer y su comando del 7mo Calvario.

En la Batalla de Little Big Horn en 1876, Gall lideró a sus guerreros Hunkpapa, quienes primero frenaron el avance del Mayor Reno a través del río persiguiéndolos hacia el bosque. Luego arrastró a sus guerreros hacia el norte para unirse al Caballo Loco de los Oglala Sioux. Luego, sus fuerzas llevaron a cabo un ataque frontal contra la columna de Custer, derrotando a la desventurada unidad. Después de la batalla, el jefe Gall entró en Canadá junto con su jefe, Toro Sentado.

.Últimos dias

En algún momento, Gall y Toro Sentado tuvieron un desacuerdo que hizo que Gall trajera su banda de regreso al otro lado de la frontera a fines de 1880. Gall apareció en Fort Peck en Poplar Creek, Montana el 3 de enero de 1881. Se rindió a los militares, trayendo la mitad de la banda de Hunkpapa con él. Aunque Estados Unidos les prometió amnistía si regresaban, cuando Gall cruzó a los Estados Unidos, algunos de su pueblo fueron atacados, y en la primavera todos fueron detenidos y retenidos como prisioneros militares en Fort Randall. Desde allí fueron transportados a la Agencia Standing Rock (reserva) en el Territorio de Dakota. Gall se instaló en Standing Rock, donde se hizo amigo del hombre que demostraría ser el enemigo más acérrimo de Toro Sentado, el agente indio James McLaughlin.

Después de que Gall fue sometido, se apartó del camino de la libertad y concentró su atención en hacer que su vida y la de su pueblo fueran lo mejor posible, a pesar de su internamiento en reservas gubernamentales. Gall animó a su gente a aceptar el programa del hombre blanco para los indios. Gall se convirtió en un campeón de los esfuerzos federales para "civilizar" a los Lakota. Prestó su prestigio al programa de agricultura de la reserva y se convirtió en un partidario activo de los planes para educar a los niños indios en escuelas especiales.

Como agricultor en la reserva de Standing Rock, Gall se hizo amigo de los colonos locales en sus últimos años, y finalmente se volvió contra Toro Sentado, posiblemente por la afiliación de este último al movimiento Danza Fantasma. Gall ignoró la religión de la Danza de los Fantasmas cuando apareció en escena y, en cambio, se convirtió en un enviado a Washington, D.C.

Gall se convirtió en juez de reserva en 1889, y ese mismo año dio su consentimiento para la reducción del tamaño de la reserva, a pesar de la oposición de Toro Sentado. Gall desafió el liderazgo de Toro Sentado entre los Lakota de Standing Rock, pero nunca llegó a igualar la influencia y autoridad de su antiguo mentor.

Gall fue buscado por Buffalo Bill Cody para ser parte de su show del salvaje oeste. Sin embargo, a diferencia de Toro Sentado, Gall se negó y dijo: "No soy un animal para ser exhibido ante multitudes". Su espíritu estaba cansado, sus ojos, apagados. Desde entonces Gall se marchitó. Unos años más tarde, el viejo jefe murió el 5 de diciembre de 1894 en su casa de Oak Creek en Dakota del Sur.


Tinta de hiel de hierro - Historia

Es difícil establecer el primer uso de la tinta de hiel de hierro. La reacción entre el tanino y la sal de hierro para crear un producto coloreado ya se conocía en la antigüedad. Cayo Plinio Segundo (23-79 d.C.) describe un experimento en el que goteó una solución de sal de hierro sobre un papiro que había sido empapado en una solución de tanino. El papiro marrón pálido se volvió negro inmediatamente al entrar en contacto con la sal de hierro. No fue hasta siglos después que esta reacción se utilizó deliberadamente para producir tinta.

La tinta de carbón precedió al uso de la tinta de hiel de hierro como tinta de escritura principal. Varias fuentes se refieren al primer uso de la tinta de carbón alrededor del 2500 a.C. Las tintas de carbono se fabricaban quemando materiales como aceite, resina o alquitrán. La quema de estos materiales produjo hollín que contenía carbono puro y materiales oxidados. Cuando se fabrica correctamente, el hollín puede contener hasta un 80% de partículas de carbono. Esto se mezcló con agua y goma para mantener el carbón en suspensión. Una tinta de carbón de buena calidad tenía un aspecto negro azulado. Dicha tinta no se decoloraría con el tiempo, pero podría mancharse fácilmente con mucha humedad y era fácil de quitar de un documento. La tinta de carbón envejecida y la tinta de hiel de hierro a veces son difíciles de distinguir entre sí.

El examen visual por sí solo no proporciona suficiente información para identificar la tinta. Aunque la mayoría de las tintas de agallas de hierro se vuelven marrones con el tiempo, el color por sí solo no indica una tinta de agallas de hierro envejecida. Las tintas de carbón de mala calidad contienen una alta proporción de material alquitranado que también produce un color marrón. Si el contenido de alquitrán es alto y las condiciones de almacenamiento deficientes, la tinta puede volverse bastante pálida. Por el contrario, un poco de tinta de hiel de hierro sobre pergamino puede, incluso después de siglos, aparecer de un negro intenso y podría confundirse fácilmente con una tinta de carbón. Para distinguir la tinta de hiel de hierro de la tinta de carbón u otras tintas como bistre o sepia, una prueba cuantitativa de la presencia de hierro en una línea de tinta es un método útil para determinar su identidad. Sin embargo, las diferentes tintas aún pueden mostrar trazas de contenido de hierro dependiendo de su método de fabricación y almacenamiento.

En la Enciclopedia de las siete artes libres de Martianus Capella, que vivió en Cartago en el siglo quinto, se puede encontrar una receta muy temprana para la tinta de hiel de hierro. En él, Capella describe "Gallarum gummeosque commixtio" como una tinta para escribir. Aunque no se conoce la fecha exacta de la transición de la tinta de carbón a la tinta de hiel de hierro, se puede afirmar con seguridad que a finales de la Edad Media la tinta de hiel de hierro era la tinta principal. Hay ejemplos de manuscritos en los que se utilizaron ambas tintas. Sin embargo, la tinta de hiel de hierro tenía algunas ventajas distintas que condujeron al eventual desplazamiento de la tinta de carbón. La tinta de hiel de hierro era más fácil de fabricar, generalmente no obstruía la herramienta de escritura y era difícil de quitar de la superficie sobre la que se aplicó, una característica valiosa para el mantenimiento de registros oficiales.

Esta transición se aceleró por una creciente demanda de tinta para escribir, a pesar de que escribir era una habilidad de unos pocos privilegiados. Los viejos manuales domésticos indican que la fabricación de tinta era a menudo una de las tareas domésticas de las mujeres.

Las recetas también se transmitieron de una generación a la siguiente. En contraste con este enfoque individualizado está la formulación estricta de la tinta utilizada en la administración de la empresa comercial del siglo XVII "de Verenigde Oost Indische Compagnie" (Compañía Holandesa de las Indias Orientales Unidas). La tinta de hiel de hierro se utilizó hasta bien entrado el siglo XX, cuando se desarrollaron los tintes sintéticos. Es interesante notar que una especificación oficial para la tinta utilizada en documentos oficiales del gobierno alemán estuvo en uso hasta 1974.


Historia y etimología para hiel

Inglés medio Galle, volviendo al inglés antiguo gealla, galla, volviendo al germánico * gallon-, galla- (de donde el viejo alto alemán y el viejo sajón galla, Nórdico antiguo hiel), volviendo al indoeuropeo * ǵholh3-norte- (de donde, sin el sufijo, griego cholḗ & quot; b & quot; odio amargo & quot; chólos & quot; odio amargo, ira & quot; Avestan zāra- & quotbile & quot), un derivado de * ǵhelh3- & quot verde, amarillo & quot - más en la entrada amarilla 1

Nota: El sentido & quot; audacia & quot ;, atestiguado por primera vez en los EE. UU. En la segunda mitad del siglo XIX, es quizás de origen independiente.

Inglés medio Gallen, en parte derivado de Galle hiel entrada 4, en parte tomado del francés medio galer & quot para rascar, frotar, montar un ataque, & quot derivado de vendaval & quot nuez, callo & quot; tomado del latín galla bilis entrada 3

Inglés medio Galle, tomado del anglo-francés, tomado del latín galla & quot nuez, manzana de roble & quot de origen oscuro

Nota: latín galla no puede ser similar a la entrada de hiel 4 si esta última de hecho desciende del indoeuropeo * ǵholH-, y en todo caso el significado básico de galla parece ser & quotexcrescence & quot en lugar de & quot; dolor, plaga & quot.

Inglés medio Galle & quot; dolor en la piel, mancha, maldad, estéril o mancha húmeda en un campo (en los nombres) & quot; probablemente en parte se remonta al inglés antiguo anglosajón * galla (West Saxon gealla) & quot; dolor en la piel de un caballo & quot; tomado prestado en parte del bajo alemán medio Galle & quot; brotando en un lugar común, blastodisco y estéril & quot; ambos sustantivos se remontan al germánico * galán- (de donde también Old Norse galli & quot; defecto, defecto & quot), quizás volviendo a una base indoeuropea * ǵholH-, de donde, de la derivada * ǵholH-r-, Noruego galder & quotwindgall & quot; Viejo irlandés galar & quotenfermedad, dolor & quot; galés galar & quot; luto, dolor & quot

Nota: Quizás también estén conectados el lituano žalà & quot; daño, daño & quot (de * ǵholH-eh2), Hitita Kallar & quot; cosa infame, demonio & quot (de * ǵholH-ro-), Antiguo eslavo eclesiástico zulú & quot; malo, malo & quot (de grado cero * ǵhlH-o-). Según una hipótesis más antigua, las palabras germánicas son un préstamo del latín galla "nuez de nuez, manzana de roble" (véase la entrada 3 de la hiel), pero dada la amplia distribución y variedad de significados de las palabras germánicas, esto parece poco probable.


Gall - Historia

¡La historia de la iglesia, escuela y parroquia católica de St. Gall tiene raíces profundas!


Esta historia a continuación fue compilada del libro actual de la Dedicación del edificio de la iglesia, el libro de celebración de los Siervos del Sagrado Corazón de María y el 90 aniversario de San Galo, y el libro de celebración del centenario de San Galo. Muchas gracias a la Sra. Janet Bohne y la Sra. Lil Hoffman por su ayuda con esta historia.

A principios de la década de 1840, el área ahora conocida como Gage Park fue colonizada originalmente por agricultores alemanes. Si bien las décadas y los siglos han visto un cambio en la demografía, Gage Park siempre se ha mantenido abrumadoramente católico. En 1865, el pequeño grupo de granjas y pueblos se incorporó a la ciudad de Lake, y se anexó oficialmente a Chicago en 1889. Para entonces, las granjas estaban siendo reemplazadas por unas 30 cabañas de madera, aunque no había carreteras pavimentadas ni sistema de transporte público. .

A principios de la década de 1880, el pueblo de Elsdon, justo al oeste de Gage Park, estaba centrado alrededor de la estación Grand Trunk en Fifty-First Street. La gente dependía de Tiffany Car Shop para su trabajo, y la pequeña comunidad católica que vivía en el área se convirtió en una misión y rama de la parroquia de St. Agnes en la primavera de 1890.

El reverendo J.A. Hemlock dio misas en una pequeña cabaña ubicada en 5151 S. St. Louis Ave. En el otoño de 1893, el reverendo Hemlock se jubiló debido a problemas de salud y la parroquia de St. Agnes le dio la bienvenida al reverendo A.J. Hitchcock. La "pequeña misión" fue bien atendida por este sacerdote.

Poco después de que el Rev. Hitchcock asumiera el cargo en la misión, la iglesia se trasladó a un espacio más grande en 5201 S. St. Louis Ave. Las misas se llevaron a cabo en un gran salón en el piso de arriba mientras una tienda de comestibles ocupaba el primer piso. Debido a la escasa asistencia a la misa, la congregación católica se disolvió. A principios de 1894, el padre J.E. Le Sage de St. Joseph & # 39s y St. Anne & # 39s (ambos en Brighton Park) tomó el control de la pequeña misión. Luego, la iglesia se mudó a una casa de madera en la esquina noreste de 52nd St. & amp Turner, ahora conocida como Christiana.

Durante los siguientes cinco años, la comunidad creció y el pueblo de Elsdon se incorporó a la ciudad de Chicago, tal como lo había sido Gage Park, y se hizo necesario establecer una iglesia y una parroquia permanente, en lugar de mantener la & quot; pequeña misión & quot. En mayo de 1899, el padre Michael J. Sullivan fue nombrado primer párroco de la nueva parroquia. El Padre Sullivan sirvió a 132 feligreses, los primeros miembros de St. Gall. Un feligrés, John A. Walther, sugirió que la nueva iglesia llevara el nombre del santo patrón de su cantón natal en Suiza. Esta sugerencia fue aceptada por el arzobispo Feehan de Chicago, por lo que St. Gall se convirtió en la parroquia más nueva en el lado suroeste de Chicago.

Se estaba produciendo un gran auge en la construcción a medida que el servicio de carritos eléctricos se extendía primero a Western Avenue y luego a Kedzie. A partir de 1905, se planificaron y distribuyeron los bulevares Western & amp Garfield, lo que contribuyó en gran medida al desarrollo de la industria y las residencias en el vecindario. Poco después de esto, el vecindario recibió el nombre de la familia Gage, que era dueña de gran parte de la propiedad en el área. Entre 1910 y 1930, Gage Park tuvo el privilegio de convertirse en el hogar de una parte del & quot; cinturón de bungalows & quot. Estas distintas casas y edificios de apartamentos han albergado a generaciones de graduados de St. Gall y continúan siendo un motivo de orgullo tanto en Gage Park como en la ciudad de Chicago. Gracias al auge de la construcción, St. Gall vio un tremendo crecimiento tanto en adultos como en niños, lo que contribuyó en gran medida a la construcción de nuestra escuela.

En 1908, después de casi 10 años al servicio de la gente de St. Gall, el Padre Sullivan fue trasladado a la parroquia Resurrection. En su ausencia, los Padres Agustinos se hicieron cargo de la parroquia como misión de la parroquia de Santa Rita. En este momento se necesitaba un edificio de iglesia mucho más grande, y la iglesia se mudó nuevamente, esta vez a un cuarto edificio en 54th & amp Millard. Este edificio sentó a más de 500 feligreses cada domingo. La misa se celebró en el nuevo edificio por primera vez el 1 de mayo de 1910.

Fue en este momento que los feligreses sintieron la necesidad de una escuela. En septiembre de 1910, las primeras clases se llevaron a cabo en la escuela St. Gall, ubicada sobre la iglesia en 54th & amp Millard. Las primeras Hermanas que sirvieron a la gente y a los niños de St. Gall fueron las Hermanas Dominicas de Adrian, Michigan. La primera escuela se dividió en dos clases: primera clase y segunda clase. La primera clase estaba compuesta de primero, segundo, tercero y cuarto grado, enseñada en un salón de clases por una hermana, y los grados quinto, sexto, séptimo y octavo fueron enseñados en otro salón por otra hermana.

Durante los primeros siete años de existencia de la escuela, los educadores escolares fueron la hermana Adalbert, la hermana Helen Marie, la hermana Ann Genevieve, la hermana Mary Theresa, la hermana Mary Louis y la hermana Mary Wenceslaus. Estas monjas compartieron el convento con las Hermanas en la parroquia de St. Rita y viajaron todos los días a través de un motor de conmutación, conducido por el Sr. Art Foster, un feligrés de St. Gall.

El 29 de octubre de 1916, el padre Fred P. Cannell fue nombrado pastor en St. Gall y el edificio de la iglesia en 54th & amp Millard fue abandonado por un sitio mejor en 55th y Kedzie. La escuela continuó reuniéndose arriba en el edificio en 54th & amp Millard.

En 1920, había más de 13.000 residentes de Gage Park, en su mayoría de origen bohemio y polaco. Muchos de estos residentes encontraron empleo en Chicago Union Stockyards. En 1925, la comunidad pudo mantener 3 salas de cine, incluida la Colonia, que se construyó en 5824 S. Kedzie, y donde todavía se encuentra hoy, aunque ya no se usa como sala de cine.

En 1922, Ben F. Bohac fundó Talman Home Federal Savings and Loan, que originalmente se encontraba en la esquina de 51st y Talman, y luego se trasladó a la esquina de 55th y Kedzie, al otro lado de la calle de St. Gall. El banco y la parroquia de St. Gall disfrutaron de una asociación de trabajo durante muchos años, que continúa hasta el día de hoy (aunque Talman se ha fusionado desde entonces con LaSalle / Bank of America).

En 1923, se trazaron los planes para un nuevo edificio escolar y la escuela se completó en 1924. La nueva escuela estaba en la esquina de 55th y Sawyer. Las Hermanas Dominicas luego permanecieron en Santa Rita y las Siervas del Sagrado Corazón de María se mudaron para hacerse cargo de la escuela y servir a la gente de San Galo. El 22 de septiembre de 1923 se inauguró el nuevo edificio de la escuela bajo el cuidado de la Madre Santa Inés, la Hermana Mary Catherine, la Hermana Philomena y la Hermana María del Rosario. Aproximadamente 100 niños fueron registrados ese primer día.

Las Hermanas se mudaron a la Rectoría y el Padre Cannell se mudó con un feligrés hasta que se pudiera construir un Convento. Mientras se creaban los planes para una nueva iglesia, el sótano de la escuela se usó para la misa semanal. Se construyó un pequeño convento en 5553 S. Sawyer y sirvió a las Hermanas por solo unos pocos años. En 1926, se construyó la actual Rectoría para proporcionar un nuevo hogar a los sacerdotes. En junio de 1928, se elaboraron planes para una nueva iglesia en el sótano de la escuela, ya que la congregación aumentó a más de 900 en la misa cada semana. El 3 de febrero de 1929 se inauguró la nueva iglesia del sótano.

A principios de 1924, el padre Cannell dimitió debido a problemas de salud. Su reemplazo fue monseñor Hishen, quien serviría en St. Gall durante más de 30 años. Fue bajo Mons. Hishen que la parroquia de St. Gall vio el mayor crecimiento, tanto en número de parroquias como en desarrollo espiritual.

La escuela también se caracterizó por un gran crecimiento y fue necesario construir una adición a la escuela. En 1935 se añadió un segundo edificio de ocho habitaciones. Cinco de estas habitaciones fueron reservadas y convertidas en viviendas para las doce hermanas que enseñaban en los edificios de la escuela. También en ese momento los miembros de la parroquia crearon muchos clubes sociales. Se fundaron ligas de bolos para hombres y mujeres, una sociedad dramática y un club para feligreses adolescentes. La fiesta anual de tarjetas y el baile se llevaron a cabo por primera vez en este momento. La fiesta anual fue la columna vertebral social y financiera de la parroquia durante muchos años.

A medida que aumentaba la matrícula escolar, las Hermanas consideraron necesario convertir las cinco aulas del nuevo edificio en aulas y mudarse a alojamientos más privados. Esto les daría a las hermanas más privacidad y liberaría cinco aulas en la escuela. En 1949 se construyó el actual convento.

En 1949, se organizó la primera Banda Escolar de St. Gall bajo la dirección del Sr. Otto Nagl. Durante muchos años, la St. Gall Band fue una de las bandas escolares más rivalizadas en el lado sur de Chicago, en un momento con más de 100 miembros y marchando en todos nuestros desfiles locales, incluido el 63rd Street Christmas Parade. El Sr. Nagl se desempeñó como director de banda en St. Gall School durante casi 40 años, y su legado sigue vivo en nuestro programa de música.

A principios de la década de 1950, Monseñor Hishen notó que la iglesia del sótano una vez más no podía contener a las multitudes que asistían a las misas todos los domingos. Se estaban celebrando misas en lo que ahora es el gimnasio de la escuela y el salón de bingo. Se consideraron planes para una "iglesia superior" o una instalación a nivel de la calle, especialmente porque la iglesia del sótano se inundaría durante el clima lluvioso.

Los primeros planes para la nueva iglesia requerían una superestructura sobre la iglesia vieja para que la nueva iglesia pudiera construirse sobre una base existente. Se formó un comité de recaudación de fondos que fue atendido por más de 20 hombres, incluido el Sr. George Hoffman, cuya esposa Lil enseñó 3er grado en St. Gall durante más de 30 años.

El 16 de octubre de 1955, Monseñor Hishen abrió el camino para el nuevo edificio de la iglesia. La primera misa celebrada en la iglesia actual en la esquina de la calle 55 y Kedzie fue la Vigilia Pascual de 1957.

La capacidad de asientos del diseño original de la iglesia debía ser de 1400 personas. Fue en el momento de la construcción de la nueva iglesia cuando se agregó a la escuela la actual "adición intermedia". Esta adición intermedia se unió a los dos edificios escolares que se encuentran a una cuadra de distancia en Sawyer y Kedzie. Incluyó la adición de 4 aulas nuevas y una biblioteca escolar.

Monseñor Hishen deseaba que el altar fuera el centro de la nueva iglesia. Dijo: `` El altar debe ser el verdadero centro de la iglesia ''. Teniendo en cuenta estos pensamientos, los dibujos originales de la iglesia fueron descartados y los arquitectos crearon un nuevo plan: un cuarto de círculo, que acortaba la distancia entre el banco más alejado y el altar. , así como una mayor capacidad de asientos, y mantiene el altar como el centro de atención de la iglesia. El nuevo diseño también aprovechó al máximo el espacio existente en 55th y Kedzie. La nueva iglesia se dedicó formalmente el 13 de abril de 1958.

Cuando monseñor Hishen se jubiló, permaneció activo en la vida parroquial. El sótano del convento fue remodelado y nombrado Centro de Ancianos Hishen en 1972. Ese salón había servido como jardín de infantes parroquial durante muchos años y también albergaba nuestro programa de Día Extendido. Actualmente es la base de operaciones del grupo de jóvenes de la parroquia que se reúne semanalmente. Monseñor Hishen falleció el 25 de mayo de 1973 a la edad de 79 años. Su dedicación al pueblo de San Galo siempre será recordada. El Centro Hishen sigue siendo una pieza vital de la parroquia de St. Gall. Además del grupo de jóvenes, ahora es un lugar de reunión para las clases de RICA, Educación Religiosa e Inglés como Segundo Idioma.

En septiembre de 1989, las Siervas del Sagrado Corazón de María celebraron su centenario en St. Gall, y St. Gall celebró 90 años en el lado suroeste. También celebraron su larga cooperación juntos. Esa misa fue celebrada con la gente por el cardenal Joseph Bernadin, una de las figuras religiosas más queridas de Chicago.

El padre David P. Dowdle fue instalado en el séptimo pastor de St. Gall el 16 de octubre de 1992. Fue bajo la guía del padre Dowdle que comenzó el ministerio hispano para llegar a la creciente población hispana de Gage Park. La primera misa en español se celebró el 12 de diciembre de 1996. Más de 2,500 personas asistieron a la misa. Fue en este momento que se agregaron dos misas en español a la rotación de fin de semana para servir a la creciente población hispana.

El 19 de noviembre de 2000, la parroquia de St. Gall celebró su centenario. Es un hito poco común y la parroquia de St. Gall ha sido bendecida a medida que continúa prosperando y sirviendo a las necesidades de la comunidad de Gage Park. La asistencia a la Misa semanal continúa creciendo y prosperando, y damos la bienvenida a las nuevas incorporaciones a nuestras familias parroquiales y escolares. Tenemos la bendición de tener feligreses nuevos tan dedicados, así como feligreses fieles y amorosos que han servido a St. Gall durante décadas. Es por su apoyo que seguimos teniendo éxito

La matrícula escolar ha disminuido y disminuido a lo largo de los años debido al aumento de la población y al cierre de otras escuelas locales. Cuando se inauguró el primer edificio escolar permanente, St. Gall dio la bienvenida a 100 niños al redil. En el momento en que se dedicó la nueva iglesia, la matrícula escolar era de más de 1,000. Cuando la parroquia celebró su 75 aniversario en 1974, la matrícula era de 618 estudiantes. En el año 2010, nuestra matrícula fue de 231.

A partir de 2001, se trabajó en la escuela para mejorar el edificio y así mejorar la educación que recibieron los estudiantes. Las viejas ventanas fueron reemplazadas por ventanas que son eficientes en términos de calor e insonorizadas. Nuestra proximidad al aeropuerto Midway es una ventaja, pero nuestras ventanas insonorizadas permiten que la educación continúe sin la interrupción de la contaminación acústica del aeropuerto.

Con la adición de las ventanas, se instalaron nuevos sistemas de aire acondicionado y calefacción en cada aula. También se agregaron ventiladores de techo para evitar que las habitaciones se calienten demasiado. Las nuevas ventanas también están equipadas con salidas de emergencia. Finalmente, se agregaron encimeras y gabinetes nuevos a cada salón de clases. El Laboratorio de Computación también se actualizó en 2016 para brindarles a nuestros estudiantes las mejores oportunidades posibles. Nuestro laboratorio alberga actualmente 35 estaciones de computadoras, una pizarra interactiva, un escáner de fotos / documentos, impresoras y servidores inalámbricos para toda la escuela.

En la década de 1990, un aula se convirtió en un laboratorio de ciencias en funcionamiento. Los estudiantes reciben experiencia práctica realizando experimentos en biología, ciencias de la vida y química.

A medida que la demanda creció, se agregó un programa preescolar a mediados de la década de 1990 y el jardín de infantes se convirtió en un programa de día completo. Cada programa introduce a los niños a la educación católica desde una edad temprana, y ambos programas permiten que los estudiantes se conviertan en miembros de la familia St. Gall desde el principio.

El Padre René Mena fue instalado como el décimo párroco de St. Gall el 1 de julio de 2016. Es la esperanza de que el ministerio iniciado por los pastores, hermanas, ministros y feligreses anteriores continúe durante los próximos 100 años.

Al mirar hacia el futuro, es la esperanza y oración de todos los que trabajan y sirven en St. Gall que la parroquia y la escuela continúen prosperando y haciendo la obra de Dios aquí en la tierra. Si bien muchas generaciones han ido y venido de San Galo, sabemos que cuando el pueblo de Dios se reunió, San Galo es nuestro hogar.

1899-1908: Padre Michael Sullivan
1908-1916: Padre William Egan
1916-1934: Padre Fred Cannell
1934-1967: Monseñor James Hishen
1967-1977: Padre Henry Troy
1977-1992: Padre Michael Adams
1992-1999: Padre David Dowdle
1999-2009: Padre John Dearhammer
2009-2016: Padre Gary Graf

2016-presente: Padre Rene Mena

Directores de las escuelas de St. Gall:


1924-1926: Madre Santa Inés Dionne
1926-1933: Madre María de la Presentación
1933-1939: Madre Santo Domingo
1939-1945: Madre San Juan Bautista
1945-1951: Madre Anita Marie
1951-1957: Hermana Mary Alice
1957-1960: Hermana Santa Inés
1960-1966: Hermana Louise Marie
1966-1972: Hermana Ruth Traman
1972-1975: Sr. Walter Hansen
1975-1979: señorita Carol Gliwa
1979-1986: Hermana Loretta Finn
1986-1989: señorita LaVerne Schauer
1989-1997: Sr. Gary Campione
1997-2006: Hermana Erica Jordan
2006-2007: Sra. Maria Hawk
2007-2011: Sra. Marilyn Baran
2011-2015: Sra. Janie Flores


Gall - Historia

Franz Joseph Gall nació en el pueblo suabo de Tiefenbronn cerca de Pforzheim, que más tarde fue en la gran holandesa alemana de Baden, el sexto de diez hijos de padres comerciantes católicos romanos. Aunque originalmente destinado al sacerdocio y educado por primera vez por su tío sacerdote, Gall estudió medicina en la ciudad francesa de Estrasburgo en 1777. Allí, Gall conoció la anatomía comparada de Johann Hermann (1738-1800), quien enseñó que había un relación entre el hombre y los simios. En 1781 Gall continuó sus estudios de medicina en Viena, donde quedó más impresionado por su maestro, el conocido médico Maximilian Stoll (1742-1787). Stoll enfatizó la recopilación de muchos hechos empíricos de la observación clínica antes de sacar conclusiones generales, un tema que se convertiría permanentemente en parte de la práctica y la retórica de Gall. Gall recibió el doctorado en medicina en 1785 y se convirtió en un médico privado exitoso y bien conectado en Viena. Se casó por primera vez en 1790. Gall estaba muy orgulloso e independiente; incluso rechazó una oferta en 1794 para convertirse en el médico personal del emperador Francisco II, simplemente para preservar su independencia. El carácter de Gall no fue el ingrediente menos importante en la formación de su sistema. Sus tres pasiones principales eran, como escribe Ackerknecht: & quotscience, jardinería y mujeres. & Quot;

En 1792-3, Gall estaba convencido de que había descubierto regiones localizadas de la corteza cerebral donde residían las facultades universales innatas. Gall llamó a estas regiones "órganos", un término que en ese entonces era común en Viena para los módulos cerebrales localizados. Las facultades particulares de psicología y organología de Gall reflejan los casos en el asilo y en las cárceles locales de los que hizo muchas de sus primeras generalizaciones, a saber. Mord / W y uumlrgsinn (facultad de asesinato) y Diebsinn (facultad de hurto) y de peculiaridades en sus propios pacientes.

Gall comenzó a recolectar cráneos humanos y animales y moldes de cera de cerebros desde alrededor de 1792 para estudiar el desarrollo de los contornos craneales con los comportamientos característicos asociados con una especie de animal, o un conocido general o ladrón. Su colección de cráneos, así como moldes de yeso de cabezas y cráneos, se hizo tan extensa, y su energía para recolectarlos tan conspicua que se convirtió en una celebridad local. En 1802, la colección constaba de 300 cráneos humanos y 120 modelos de yeso.

Gall llamó a su nuevo sistema & quotorganología & quot y & quotSch & aumldellehre& quot (doctrina del cráneo) y más tarde simplemente & quot; la fisiología del cerebro & quot. Gall es recordado con razón como un anatomista cerebral altamente innovador. Aunque no tenía calificaciones anatómicas formales, Gall hizo de la corteza cerebral (las delgadas capas grises exteriores del cerebro, en alemán se llama la "corteza" del cerebro) el centro de atención en lugar de los ventrículos. Desde Galeno (129-199), los ventrículos habían sido tratados como las partes más importantes del cerebro y la corteza se consideraba solo una capa protectora.

Incluso en 1796, el mismo año en que Gall comenzó a dar conferencias sobre su sistema, el muy respetado anatomista alemán Samuel Thomas Soemmerring (1755-1830) publicó su Y Uumlber das Organ der Seele (En el órgano del alma). En la segunda parte, Soemmerring trató de localizar el sensorio comuna (o "el alma") en el líquido cefalorraquídeo intraventricular. Como la teoría de Descartes de que el alma actuaba a través de la glándula pineal, la idea de Soemmerring nunca fue muy bien recibida. Mientras que su contemporáneo imaginaba un lugar para la influencia de un alma, Gall enseñó que los fenómenos psicológicos tienen lugar en regiones específicas de la corteza cerebral, mientras que el alma y la mente se ignoran. Gall describió el sistema nervioso como compuesto por una multitud de centros nerviosos independientes. Su asignación de funciones psicológicas específicas a regiones indiferenciadas de la corteza y el cerebelo es el punto de partida moderno para la localización cerebral. Although having been independently postulated many times in the past, localization has been continuously applied and modified ever since Gall, and he is now seen as the founder of cerebral localization.

Gall developed an innovative method for dissecting the brain which revealed the developmental relationships between its parts. Instead of slicing into the entire brain from above as other anatomists of the time, Gall dissected from below, following the medulla oblongata (the brain stem) upwards into the brain, tracing out the fanning fibres which reach into all corners of the brain. Gall claimed to have discovered that the nerves flowed not to a centre, but outwards in all directions, and hence there was no central control centre but instead diffuse and localized modules throughout the surface of the brain. Gall described the brain as the continuation of the spinal cord and claimed to have discovered that the brain is made of "bundles of threads" rather than a pudding-like substance. His claims to be able to be able to separate these fibres were highly controversial- partly for the reason that it appeared to refute any possibility for a single centre of control. Gall appears to have been the first anatomist to have paid close attention to the windings of the cerebrum (the gyri) which had hitherto been ignored and inaccurately represented as arbitrary.

With his ideas of localization, Gall was the first person to create a theory of localized mental illness. For Gall, mental illness era brain illness. Gall spoke for a more gentle handling of the insane wherever he went. In addition, Gall was the first to push the distinction between criminal responsibility and crime as the result of somatic defects. Gall reacted strongly against what he perceived as the French sensualist philosopher Claude-Adrien Helvétius' (1715-1771) extreme belief in learning to the exclusion of congenital abilities. Gall emphasized the opposite and was therefore often accused of fatalism and determinism. In one sense Gall's efforts were in effect a drive to displace an existing vocabulary for discussing psychological behaviour with his own.

Gall's system first appeared in print in December 1798 when one of his letters was published in the main literary journal of the Holy Roman Empire, Der neue Teutsche Merkur, edited by the poet Christoph Martin Wieland. Wieland included a note with the letter assuring his readers that all would find Gall's system of importance, as Dr. Gall was a special and uniquely qualified authority. Indeed, Gall was believed for many years to posses a unique authority partly from his emphasis on his many observations in the Viennese medical institutions and because of his rhetoric of relying on Nature to bring him to conclusions. During phrenology's later career, the claim that the system was founded on untold numbers of observations never faded, though time and place were forgotten.

An unexpected event changed Gall's system from a Viennese curiosity to an international subject. For six years Gall gave public lectures on his system in his home during which time three German pamphlets were published on the subject of Gall's system by 1801 and there was a single mentioning of him in a British periodical. Gall planned to publish a large multi-volume work on his system entitled Lehre über die Verrichtungen des Hirns, und über die Möglichkeit, die Anlagen mehrerer Geistes- und Gemuthseigenschaften aus dem Bau des Kopfes, und des Schedels des Menschen und der Thiere zu erkennen (Doctrine of the Functions of the Brain, and the possibility of recognizing the tendency of several properties of mind from the structure of the heads and skulls of humans and animals). Before his work could be published Gall's lectures were banned by the emperor Franz II in December 1801. The text of the decree provides several reasons for the ban: the enthusiasm with which Gall's system is discussed, that some might get carried away, the attendance of ladies, and that perhaps the system might lead to materialism and thereby go against the "the first principles of morality and religion". The ban also proscribed any publication of Gall's system.

On 6 March 1805, Gall, then forty-seven, the twenty-nine year old Spurzheim as Gall's famulus and dissectionist, Gall's servant, his wax modeller, two monkeys, and the greater portion of Gall's collection of skulls and casts left for Berlin on what Gall intended to be a journey of some months duration.

Sketch of Gall lecturing in Berlin in 1805.

(Do you recognize others in this sketch? Please contact me if you do.)

Gall and his craniological system soon became an international sensation. From Berlin Gall received invitations to lecture in further cities, universities and courts throughout Europe causing him to continually extend his tour. Gall and his motley company eventually travelled to more than fifty cities throughout Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands, Switzerland, and France- all the while steering clear of the battles of the Napoleonic wars. (see map of the tour) With very few exceptions, Gall was a great success everywhere he went. Lecturing to most of the crowned heads of Europe, in all the major universities in Germany as well as before science societies, as in Kiel, or in posh hotels, Gall covered a large expanse of social as well as geographic territory. Gall's success may not have been due solely to his own style and system, but to the allegiances and interests of his audiences.

The Edinburgh Medical and Surgical Journal, March, 1806 reported:

The craniology of Dr. Gall was the favourite topic of the German literati during the summer of 1805 at almost every university and capital of the Northern Provinces of Germany . . . In the beginning of last spring the doctor set out for Berlin, and lodged in the house of his intimate friend, Mr. Kotzebue. He there met with universal acceptance. The King, the Queen, princes and princesses, interested themselves so much in his discoveries that he obtained an invitation to go through a course of lectures in presence of the Royal Family, during which the Queen inspected the dissection of a human brain, while the doctor demonstrated the whole series of his astonishing discoveries. A rancorous attack was now commenced against his theory by Dr. WALTER, leading anatomist in Berlin, but it failed of the intended effect, every person being convinced that he was dictated by envy. On the opposite side, the justly renowned Dr. HUFELAND, first physician to the King, almost all the faculty, as well as others professed their full assent, and several interesting tracts were published, in which ample justice was done to the theory . Dr. Gall visited the houses of correction and prisons in Berlin and Spandau, and gave the most convincing proofs of his ability to discover, at first sight, such malefactors, thieves, and men of particular talents as were amongst the convicts and prisoners. At Torgau, where he also visited a house of correction, Professor BÖTIGER accompanied him, who afterwards published Gall's observations, an abstract of which is given in this article.

Johann Gottlieb Walter (1734-1818) in his etwas über Hn. Dr. Gall's Hirnschädel-Lehre Dem Berliner Publikum mitgetheilt. (Berlin, 1803, 1805) wrote of the fears that Gall's system was a dangerous form of determinism or fatalism:

With great ease Gall differentiated the more distinguished thieves from those less dangerous, and in every case gave a description which tallied with the record of the trial of the prisoner. ".'he disposition to thieving was most marked in the prisoner Columbus, and amongst the youths in the head of little with reference to whom Gall advised that he should be kept in prison for life, as he will never be anything else than a "good-for-nothing." In both cases the acts of the trial showed an abnormally active disposition to thieving. What man of feeling, for morality and religion will be able to read this without amazement? A fanatic advised the perpetual internment of a child, which has stolen once and is supposed to have an imaginary organ of thieving. Mankind must revolt when it hears that a preacher of fatalistic theories promulgates teaching which would be abhorred even by the most savage people without morals and religion. And shall nations accept them who believe in Christ and revere His preaching of charity? And we fill the pockets of such a man and engrave medals in his honour: It is lucky for Berlin that Dr. Gall held his Fatalism Sermon in the presence of intelligent and just judges in any other place it might have had dangerous consequences.

After meeting some of the most prestigious learned men of Europe, Gall arrived in Paris in October 1807 where he received the most enthusiastic and perhaps also the most profitable reception so far. The presence of the quasi materialist ideologues in Paris made Gall feel quite at home. Although originally intending to continue his tour, Gall made Paris and its environs his home until his death in 1828. See my bibliography of Gall's works.


Treatment for gallstones

Specific treatment for gallstones will be determined by your health care provider based on:

Your age, overall health, and medical history

Your tolerance of specific medicines, procedures, or therapies

Expectations for the course of the condition

Your opinion or preference

If the gallstones cause no symptoms, treatment is usually not necessary. However, if pain persists, treatment may include:

Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy). Once removed, the bile flows directly from the liver to the small intestine. Side effects of this may include diarrhea because the bile is no longer stored in the gallbladder.

Oral dissolution therapy. Drugs made from bile acid are used to dissolve the stones.

Methyl-tert-butyl ether. A solution injected into the gallbladder to dissolve stones.

Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL). A procedure that uses shock waves to break stones up into tiny pieces that can pass through the bile ducts without causing blockages.

Contact dissolution therapy. An experimental procedure that involves injecting a drug directly into the gallbladder to dissolve the stones.


Historia

Saint Gall, an Irish monk, erected a hermitage which eventually became the monastery. After the death of Saint Gall in 646, Othmar was appointed by Charles Martel as the custodian of Gall’s relics. It was during the rule of Pepin the Short that Othmar founded the Abbey of St. Gall, where literature and science flourished. The abbey developed further, and many noblemen from Alemanni became monks. During the rule of Abbot Waldo of Reichenau, copying of manuscripts began which eventually paved the way for a library.

The Era of Prosperity (The Golden Age)

In the 9th century, the abbey ran into conflict with the Bishopric of Constance. It was in 813 when Emperor Louis the Pious confirmed imperial immediacy of the abbey that the dispute stopped. The abbey was transformed into an Imperial Abbey and King Louis the German confirmed its immunity in 833.

The abbey flourished from this time till the 10th century. Many famous scholars that include Notker of Liège, Notker Labeo, Notker the Stammerer and Hartker were associated with the abbey. The library got expanded during the 9th century. The abbey purchased manuscripts on various topics and copies were made. More than 400 manuscripts are preserved and can be found in the library today.

The Cultural Silver Age

Between 924 and 933 the abbey was threatened by the Magyars resulting in the removal of books to Reichenau. Among these, many were not returned to the library. In 937, the abbey was damaged by fire though the library survived.

Princely Abbey

The abbey turned into a Princely Abbey when Abbot Ulrich von Sax was crowned as a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire by King Philip of Swabia in 1207. The abbey started getting involved in local politics which resulted in its decline.

In 1524, the town of St. Gallen embraced the Reformation while the abbey remained Catholic, which resulted in disharmony between the town and the abbey.

The abbey was raided by the Calvinist groups in the 16th century, and many old books got scattered. Abbot Diethelm started the restoration which prevented the decline. The library was expanded too. A final attempt was made to expand the abbey which resulted in the demolition of most of the medieval monasteries. The new edifice including the cathedral was designed by architect Peter Thumb. The construction in late Baroque style took place between 1755 and 1768.

Abbey of Saint Gall Floor Plan Abbey of Saint Gall Abbey Library of Saint Gall
Abbey of Saint Gall Cathedral Interior Abbey of Saint Gall Church Abbey of Saint Gall Images
Abbey of Saint Gall in Front Abbey of Saint Gall Inside Abbey of Saint Gall Pictures
Inside of Abbey Princely Abbey Saint Gall Abbey District

What are the most common gallbladder problems?

Most people do not pay much attention to their gallbladder until it starts causing trouble. However, when there is a problem, it can be quite painful and require immediate action.

The gallbladder is a 4-inch-long, pear-shaped organ found under the liver in the upper right region of the abdomen. It stores bile, a compound produced by the liver to digest fat, and helps the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins and nutrients.

In a healthy gallbladder, this process happens painlessly. However, when blockage occurs in the gallbladder, or it stops functioning correctly, considerable pain and discomfort can occur.

In this article, we look at the function of the gallbladder, some common gallbladder problems and their symptoms, treatment options, and the long-term outlook.

Share on Pinterest The gallbladder is found just below the liver. Its job is to store bile used to digest fat.

Some common gallbladder problems include:

Gallstones, or cholelithiasis

Gallstones are solid masses of cholesterol or pigment that can be different sizes.

They occur when high levels of fat and bile cause crystals to form. These crystals may combine over time and expand into stones.

Stones can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a golf ball and may or may not cause symptoms.

Common bile duct stones, or choledocholithiasis

Small tubes transport bile from the gallbladder and deposit it in the common bile duct. From there, it is moved to the small intestine. Sometimes, gallstones can lodge or form in the common bile duct.

Most often, these stones begin their life in the gallbladder and migrate to the common bile duct. This is a secondary stone or a secondary common bile duct stone.

If the stone forms within the duct itself, it is a primary stone, or primary common bile duct stone. These are less common but are more likely to cause an infection than secondary stones.

Gallbladder cancer

Gallbladder cancer is very rare, affecting less than 4,000 Americans per year but if it does occur, it can spread to other parts of the body.

Risk factors include gallstones, porcelain gallbladder (described below), female gender, obesity, and older age.

Inflamed gallbladder, cholecystitis

Acute or sudden cholecystitis occurs when bile can’t leave the gallbladder. This commonly happens when a gallstone obstructs the tube that bile uses to travel into and out of the gallbladder.

Chronic cholecystitis occurs if there are recurrent acute attacks.

When the bile duct is blocked, bile builds up. The excess bile irritates the gallbladder, leading to swelling and infection. Over time, the gallbladder is damaged, and it can no longer function fully.

Perforated gallbladder

If gallstones are left untreated, they can lead to a perforated gallbladder – in other words, a hole in the wall of the organ can develop. Perforation also occurs as a complication of acute cholecystitis.

This breach in the gallbladder’s wall can allow leakage of infection into other parts of the body causing a severe, widespread infection.

Common bile duct infection

If the common bile duct becomes blocked, it can lead to an infection. This can be treated if it is caught early however, if it is missed, it can spread and develop into a severe, life-threatening infection.

Dysfunctional gallbladder or chronic gallbladder disease

Repeated episodes of gallstone attacks or cholecystitis may damage the gallbladder permanently. This can lead to a rigid, scarred gallbladder.

In this case, symptoms can be hard to pinpoint. They include abdominal fullness, indigestion, and increased gas and diarrhea.

Gallstone ileus

Gallstone ileus is rare but can be fatal. It occurs when a gallstone migrates to the intestine and blocks it. Often, emergency surgery is needed to clear the blockage.

Gallbladder abscess

Sometimes, a patient with gallstones will also develop pus in the gallbladder this is called empyema. The condition can produce severe pain in the abdomen. It can be life-threatening if it is not treated.

Individuals with diabetes, reduced immune system, and obesity have an increased risk of developing this complication.

Porcelain (calcified) gallbladder

Porcelain gallbladder is a condition where, over time, the muscular walls of the gallbladder develop a buildup of calcium. This makes them stiff, limiting the gallbladder’s function and increasing the risk of gallbladder cancer.

The word “porcelain” is used because the organ becomes bluish and brittle.

Gallbladder polyps

Polyps are a type of growth that is typically benign (noncancerous). Smaller gallbladder polyps often do not cause any problems and rarely produce any symptoms. Larger polyps may need to be removed.

Symptoms of gallbladder problems include:

  • Pain in the mid- or upper-right section of the abdomen: Most of the time, gallbladder pain comes and goes. However, pain from gallbladder problems ranges from mild and irregular to very severe, frequent pain. Gallbladder pain often causes pain in the chest and back.
  • Nausea or vomiting: Any gallbladder problem may cause nausea or vomiting. Long-term gallbladder diseases and disorders may lead to long-standing digestive problems that cause frequent nausea.
  • Fever or shaking chill: This signals an infection in the body. Alongside other gallbladder symptoms, fever and chills may point to a gallbladder problem or infection.
  • Changes in bowel movements: Gallbladder problems often cause changes in bowel habits. Frequent, unexplained diarrhea can signal a chronic gallbladder disease. Light-colored or chalky stools may point to a problem with the bile ducts.
  • Changes in urine: Patients suffering from gallbladder issues may notice darker than normal urine. Dark urine may indicate a bile duct block.
  • Ictericia Yellowing of the skin occurs when liver bile does not successfully reach the intestines. This normally happens due to a problem with the liver or due to a blockage in the bile ducts caused by gallstones.

When to see a doctor

Anyone with gallbladder symptoms should seek medical attention. Mild, intermittent pain that goes away on its own does not need immediate attention. However, patients with this type of pain should make an appointment with their doctor to be examined further.

If the symptoms are more severe and include the following, a patient should be seen immediately:

  • upper-right quadrant pain that does not go away within 5 hours
  • fever, nausea, or vomiting
  • changes in bowel movement and urination

This combination of symptoms can indicate a serious infection or inflammation that needs immediate treatment.


France Gall

Although best known as the perky teenager who won the 1965 Eurovision Song Contest with the Serge Gainsbourg-penned "Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son," that entry only marked the beginning of a long and fruitful career for French pop singer France Gall. One of the original yé-yé girls, she stood alongside other singers including Sylvie Vartan, Françoise Hardy, and Chantal Goya, in bringing the nascent pop style to the charts it was called "yé-yé" as a nod to British Invasion bands and their "yeah-yeah" refrains. Gall also scored another, far more controversial hit with Gainsbourg's "Les Sucettes, which translates to "Lollipops." It was packed with obvious double-entendres that the singer claimed not to know existed. The blatant sexuality, coupled with the naive innocence of the teenage singer, marked her career in the annals of pop history. She had a lengthy and more varied career, releasing consistently solid records for another three decades, including 1973's self-titled offering, Débranche! in 1984, 1992's Double Jeu (with husband Michel Berger shortly before his death that year), and finally, France, in 1996 (its songs were all composed by Berger). Although she was known as a cult figure in the rest of the world, in her native country, Gall remained a major star and beloved cultural figure until her death in 2018 at age 70.

Born Isabelle Geneviève Marie Anne Gall in Paris on October 9, 1947, she was the daughter of French performer and producer Roger Gall, who had written songs for Édith Piaf and Charles Aznavour and singer Cécile Berthier. At age 15 in 1962, Gall was encouraged by her father to record some songs and send the professionally cut demos to music publisher Denis Bourgeois, who signed her to the Philips label immediately. The four-track EP Ne Sois Pas Si Bete (the standard in French pop music release format at the time) was an enormous hit, selling over 200,000 copies in France thanks both to the irresistible title track and the absolutely stunning cover photo. Gall released a series of similarly successful pop hits for the next several years, peaking with winning the Eurovision Song Contest in 1965. Though many dismissed Gall as merely a Francophone Lesley Gore making fluffy and ultra-commercial pop songs with little substance, her hits from the era have endured the test of time. Her only real peer was Françoise Hardy, who was also making consistently fine records during this era. Although Gall's high, breathy voice was admittedly somewhat limited, she made the most of it. Even deliberately trite hits such as "Sacre Charlemagne," a duet with a pair of puppets from a popular children's show on French TV, have an infectious charm. More substantive tunes, such as the sultry jazz-tinged ballad "Pense a Moi" and the brilliant rocker "Laisse Tomber les Filles," are easily as good as any pop single produced in the U.S. or Great Britain at the time.

In 1966, Gall's public persona shifted into a more mature phase, both musically and personally. The change came with that year's controversial hit "Les Sucettes." Though on the surface the Serge Gainsbourg-penned tune was a pretty little song about a young girl and her lollipop, the unmistakable subtext of the sly lyrics meant that the not-yet-18-year-old Gall was singing approvingly (and, she later claimed, completely unknowingly) about oral sex (that said, she refused to lick a lollipop for an appearance on national French television. Les Sucettes and its follow-up, Baby Pop, are among Gall's finest recorded moments they are more musically sophisticated and varied than her early hits, yet remain just as catchy. The psychedelic era found Gall, under Gainsbourg's tutelage, singing increasingly strange songs, like "Teenie Weenie Boppie" (a bizarre tune about a deadly LSD trip that somehow involves Mick Jagger) set to some of Gainsbourg's most out-there arrangements. The excellent 1968 is Gall's best album from the period, with "Teenie Weenie Boppie," the trippy "Nefertiti," and the slinky, jazzy "Bebe Requin."

Like other stars of the '60s yé-yé scene, Gall's career took a downturn in the early '70s. No longer a teenager, but without a new persona to redefine herself (and without the help of Gainsbourg, whose time was taken by his own albums and those of his wife Jane Birkin's), Gall floundered both commercially and artistically. At the end of 1968 (the year of the historic strike and other major cultural upheavals in France), at the age 21, Gall separated from Denis Bourgeois upon the expiration of her contract with Philips. She moved to a new record label, La Compagnie, in 1969, with which her father had signed a contract. She issued two covers: one Italian ("L'Orage/La Pioggia"), the other British ("The Storm"). Marginally successful, she also released "Les Années Folles," penned by Barbara Ruskin. Further singles including "Des Gens Bien Elevés," "La Manille et la Tévolution," "Zozoï," and "Éléphants" were largely ignored by radio and the record-buying public. La Compagnie went bankrupt within three years of its creation.

Gall regularly recorded in Germany between 1966 and 1972, in particular with composer and orchestrator Werner Müller. She had a successful run in West Germany with songs penned by Horst Buchholz and Giorgio Moroder, including "Love, l'Amour und Liebe" (1967), "Hippie, Hippie" (1968), "Ich Liebe Dich, so Wie Du Bist" ("I Love You the Way You Are"), and "Mein Herz Kann Man Nicht Kaufen" ("My Heart Is Not for Sale") (1970). She had other hits in Germany as well that were far more mainstream but less popular on the charts.

The early '70s were rough for Gall's career. Although she was the first artist to be recorded in France for Atlantic Records in 1971, her subsequent singles, "C'est Cela L'Amour" (1971) and "Chasse Neige" (1971), failed to chart. In 1972, Gall recorded her final songs by Gainsbourg with "Frankenstein" and "Les Petits Ballons," but these too failed commercially. The results of her collaboration with Jean-Michel Rivat as artistic director, "La Quatrieme Chose" (1972), "Par Plaisir," and "Plus Haut Que Moi" (1973) also failed to meet marketplace expectations.

In 1973, Gall heard singer/songwriter Michel Berger's single "Attends-Moi." She became obsessed with the track and with the consistent quality of Berger's work. After meeting him through a radio broadcast she asked if he would consider collaborating with her and offer his opinion on some songs her producer wanted her to record. Berger was visibly disconcerted by their lack of quality, but assented to the collaboration without reservation, given the professional acumen displayed in her singing.

Six months later, in 1974, after recording vocals for Berger's song "Mon Fils Rira du Rock 'n' Roll," Gall's publisher formally asked him to write for her. (She'd already made her mind up that he was the only songwriter she would work with.) In 1974, "La Déclaration D'Amour" was the first in a long line of hits that marked a turning point in Gall's career, cementing the partnership between herself and Berger. The two fell in love and married in June of 1976. Afterwards, Gall sang Berger's songs exclusively until his death. Berger took over managing his wife's entire career with 1975's France Gall, the album that re-established her popularity across Europe. Berger's middle-of-the-road soft rock writing style was quite slick and commercial Gall added her authority to his songs and as a result, she became a more technically adept singer. In 1978, Berger encouraged her to take on musical theater. She trod the boards at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées (where she had auditioned some 15 years earlier) and starred in the show Made in France. Its most novel aspect was that, save for the Brazilian drag act Les Étoiles, the entire orchestra, choir, and dance troupe were comprised exclusively of female members. In 1979, Gall starred in the cast of the rock opera Starmania its music was composed by Berger and the story was penned by Québécois author Luc Plamondon. The show played for a month at Palais des Congrès de Paris (an atypical positive response for Paris). In 1982, Gall rehearsed there to present Tout Pour la Musique, an innovative show marked by its use of electronic music.

During the remainder of the '80s, the authority and quality of her singing continued to surprise and impress both critics and fans. Three of her albums -- Débranche! (1984), Babacar (1987), and the live Tour de France (1988) -- were major chart successes, and they remain enduring testaments to her mature artistry.

The '90s were a horrible decade for Gall personally. In 1992, Berger died suddenly of a heart attack at age 46. A year later, Gall was diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer. She announced her retirement after Berger's death to look after the pair's two children, then reconsidered and resumed her career with 1996's France, a tender tribute to her partner and mentor. A new generation began discovering her work when Heavenly covered her Serge Gainsbourg-penned hit "Nous Ne Sommes Pas des Anges" on Operation Heavenly. The following year, however, tragedy returned: Gall's and Berger's daughter Pauline died of cystic fibrosis at the age of 19. She recorded the single "Resiste" in 1997 but seldom appeared in public after Pauline's death. She did, however, remain active in charity work.

In 2001, the career documentary France Gall par France Gall was broadcast on French national television and watched by millions. In 2007, Gall staged and appeared in the France 2 documentary Tous Pour la Musique, to mark the 15th anniversary of Berger's death. 2004 saw the release of two Berger-penned singles," La Seule Chose Qui Compte" and "Une Femme Tu Sais," marking her final studio recordings.

Gall died at the American Hospital of Paris in Neuilly-sur-Seine on January 7 of 2018 due to an infection contracted during treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer. Two years later, Jack White's Third Man Records reissued her three most popular albums of the '60s: Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son, Baby Pop, and 1968. To promote them, the label hosted dance parties in Detroit, Nashville, Los Angeles, New York, and Montreal.


Gall - History

(1) Heb. mererah, meaning "bitterness" ( Job 16:13 ) i.e., the bile secreted in the liver. This word is also used of the poison of asps ( 20:14 ), and of the vitals, the seat of life (25).

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely. [N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary
Bibliography Information

Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Gall". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

  1. Mereerah , denoting "that which is bitter" hence the term is applied to the "bile" or "gall" (the fluid secreted by the liver), from its intense bitterness, ( Job 16:13 20:25 ) it is also used of the "poison" of serpents, ( Job 20:14 ) which the ancients erroneously believed was their gall.
  2. Rosh , generally translated "gall" in the English Bible, is in ( Hosea 10:4 ) rendered "hemlock:" in ( 32:33 ) and Job 20:16 rosh denotes the "poison" or "venom" of serpents. From ( 29:18 ) and Lame 3:19 compared with Hose 10:4 it is evident that the Hebrew term denotes some bitter and perhaps poisonous plant. Other writers have supposed, and with some reason, from ( 32:32 ) that some berry-bearing plant must be intended. Gesenius understands poppies in which case the gall mingled with the wine offered to our Lord at his crucifixion, and refused by him, would be an anaesthetic, and tend to diminish the sense of suffering. Dr. Richardson, "Ten Lectures on Alcohol," p. 23, thinks these drinks were given to the crucified to diminish the suffering through their intoxicating effects.

Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Gall'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.

(1) ro'sh, or rosh (Deuteronomy 32:32 only, "grapes of gall"):

Some very bitter plant, the bitterness as in (2) being associated with the idea of poison. Deuteronomy 29:18 margin "rosh, a poisonpus herb" Lamentations 3:5,19 Jeremiah 8:14 9:15 23:15, "water of gall," margin "poison" Hosea 10:4, translated "hemlock" Amos 6:12, "Ye have turned justice into gall" Job 20:16, the "poison of asps":

here rosh clearly refers to a different substance from the other references, the points in common being bitterness and poisonous properties. Hemlock (Conium maculatum), colocynth (Citrullus colocynthus) and the poppy (Papaver somniferum) have all been suggested as the original rosh, the last having most support, but in most references the word may represent any bitter poisonous substance. Rosh is associated with la`anah, "wormwood" (Deuteronomy 29:18 Lamentations 3:19 Amos 6:12).

(2) mererah (Job 16:13), and merorah (Job 20:14,25), both derived from a root meaning "to be bitter," are applied to the human gall or "bile," but like (1), merorah is once applied to the venom of serpents (Job 20:14). The poison of these animals was supposed to reside in their bile.

(3) chole (Matthew 27:34), "They gave him wine to drink mingled with gall" this is clearly a reference to the Septuagint version of Psalms 69:21:

"They gave me also gall (chole, Hebrew rosh) for my food and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink." In Mark 15:23, it says, "wine mingled with myrrh." It is well known that the Romans gave wine with frankincense to criminals before their execution to alleviate their sufferings here the chole or bitter substance used was myrrh (Pliny Ep. xx.18 Sen. Ep. 83).


Ver el vídeo: COLISION FRONTAL Caramelos de Hiel Official Video (Mayo 2022).